Having a Japan Visa on hand, my next concern is to purchase a Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order.
The Japan Rail Exchange Order is the document one receives from FedEx after making a purchase online. JR Pass is obtained once you exchange the JR Exchange Order upon arrival in Japan. So don’t be confused. JR Pass Exchange Order is not JR Pass.
Those who have been to Japan always say that having a JR Pass is a necessity because of its convenience and practically. They say that the JR Pass is the most economically convenient way to go around Japan. I believe them that is why I will use a JR Pass myself.
JR Pass is only available to foreigners visiting Japan for sightseeing purposes. Hence, your visa must be “Temporary Visa” otherwise, you are not eligible to get a JR Pass. JR Pass cannot be bought in Japan. It must be purchased prior to arrival. JR Pass can be ordered online.
So how much it cost? A 7-Day JR Pass costs 277USD, 14-Day JR Pass cost 441USD and a 21-Day JR Pass costs 564USD. Shipping Fee is at least 16USD and delivery time is at least 3 days regardless of the number of JR Pass being purchased per transaction. Delivery time differs if your mailing address is outside Manila and its surrounding provinces.
Some Notes to Remember About the JR Pass:
1. JR Pass is valid only to all JR Group railways (Shinkansen “bullet trains”) , JR Buses and Ferry (only for JR West Miyajima Ferry). It can not be used to any other trains, buses and ferries.
2. The validity of the JR Pass starts on the first day the Exchange Order has been turned into a JR Pass. However, the Pass must be used not later than 3 months after it has been purchased.
3. Once the JR Pass Exchange Order has been made to a JR Pass or has been stamped with a date, it can no longer be changed.
4. Passport is required when exchanging the JR Pass Exchange Order to a JR Pass.
5. You can not use the JR Pass Exchange Order without turning it into a JR Pass in any of their Exchange Offices.
6. The JR Pass is not transferable and once it is lost, it can not be replaced.
7. Unused JR Pass Exchange Order is refundable within one year subject to handling fees.
8. Once the JR Pass has been used, it can no longer be refunded.
Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order can be purchased from any of the following: JTB Corporation, Nippon Travel Agency, Kintetsu International, TopTour, Japan Airlines (if booked with JAL), All Nippon Airlines (if booked with ANA) and JalPak. Alternately, you can book it online at www.jrailpass.com.
To learn more about JR Pass, check out their website.