This is the huge Cathedral of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception located in Canetown, Victorias. This cathedral is located within the compound of Victorias Integrated Sugar Milling Company. The cathedral is still unfinished. It’s construction started in mid-90s.
Locals say that this is a “curse” church. The gigantic edifice has been commissioned by rich people who wanted to “buy heaven and salvation”. As a mater of fact, its construction was not approved by the Church authorities.
The financiers of this huge structure wanted to prove that they can “buy Vatican” and name the church a “basilica” .
They have built the edifice in such a grand scale that when finished, it is among the biggest churches in the country and could stand a massive earth quake and could last for hundreds of years. It is not difficult to believe so because its solid walls are 3 meters thick and its column are even more massive.
And since God is not a materialistic God, the financiers of the church found themselves nowhere. They have lost their businesses and families. They have lost financial prowess. They were the victims of the economic turmoil that hit Victorias. And for those reasons, the church is still unfinished, never became a cathedral, never became a basilica and never dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. Interestingly, no one wanted to pour in money to finish its construction until today. No further efforts have been made to finish its construction after the economic turmoil that hit the area.
Today, a Sunday mass is held in this church.
People call it the Unfinished Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. But in reality, it is never a cathedral as no archbishop or bishop has ever lived there. It is not even a Parish Church as it does not have its own parish priest and jurisdiction, it is not even a Barangay Chapel as the barangay has its own chapel. Today, it remains an edifice that reminds all of us that greed and material things aren’t tickets to heaven.
HOW TO GET TO THE UNFINISHED CATHEDRAL OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION:
From Bacolod City North Terminal, take a bus going to Victorias City or San Carlos and get off at Victorias Milling Company (VMC) junction. From the junction, take a tricycle going to the Unfinished Cathedral.
- Negros Occidental | Cathedral of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception
- Negros Occidental | Chasing Malatan-og Falls
- Negros Occidental | Chasing Mambukal 1st Falls
- Negros Occidental | Chasing Mambukal 2nd Falls
- Negros Occidental | Chasing Mambukal 3rd Falls
- Negros Occidental | Chasing Mambukal 7th Falls
- Negros Occidental | DS Benedicto Lion’s Park
- Negros Occidental | DS Benedicto Rice Terraces
- Negros Occidental | DS Benedicto Highway
- Negros Occidental | ILCO Train No 7 in Sagay City Plaza
- Negros Occidental | The Church of the Angry Christ
- Negros Occidental | Victorias Golf and Country Club
Categories: Negros Occidental