This is the century old Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Pagsanjan, Laguna designated as the Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe of the Diocese of San Pablo, it is the oldest church in the Philippines under the patronage of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
The facade of Pagsanjan church is a three-level early Renaissance styled facade with a semicircular arched main entrance, choir loft window and a three-story bell tower.
A side chapel near the altar houses an image of San Juan Diego, a replica of the tilma of the Our Lady of Guadalupe and a stone relic from Tepeyac Hill, Mexico City in 1531, the site of the apparition of the Virgin of Guadalupe. The chapel is also a mini-museum containing liturgical vestments of Pagsanjeño priests.
The church was heavily damaged by American and Filipino military bombers on March 15, 1945 during World War II. A replica of the church was constructed over its ruins, without the original dome.
Within the church of, two images of Our Lady of Guadalupe, can be found. The original image of Our Lady of Guadalupe was donated by Father Agustin when the parish was first established. The image was given to him as a gift from rich and pious Mexican families; it was installed at the main altar on December 12, 1688.
However, the original image was destroyed during the American and Filipino military bombings of 1945. In 1958, Mexican Catholics contributed a life-sized image of Our Lady of Guadalupe sculpted by Ramon Barretto of Toluca, which can be seen in the church today. The image of Our Lady of Guadalupe placed on the main altar was sculpted by Maximo Vicente.
Holy week procession at Pagsanjan, Laguna.