This is St Bartholomew the Apostle Church in Nagcarlan, Laguna. This church was built in 1752 during the Spanish Colonial period.
The tiered wall Nagcarlan church generally falls under the Baroque style. The design of the facade has a semicircular arched main entrance along with semicircular windows and tall pedestals and columns present also in the church’s side entrance.
The four level brick bell tower has bells with the Franciscan coat of arms (crossed arms of Christ and St. Francis of Assisi) and Muslim inspired crenellations.
The church of Nagcarlan was first built from light materials such as nipa and wood in 1583 under the chaplaincy of its first priest, Father Tomas de Miranda who also pioneered the cultivation of wheat in the country and was dedicated to Saint Bartholomew. During Father Cristobal Torres’ term, a second church made of stone and bricks was built in 1752
The multicolored stones and bricks of the church were offered by the people during its construction. The church was partially destroyed by fire in 1781. Immediate repair and reconstruction was done under the term of Father Anatacio de Argobejo and later by Father Fernando de la Puebla, who built the four level brick bell tower. Further reconstruction using adobe and restoration in 1845 and addition of the choir loft on three strong arches was done under the supervision of Father Vicente Velloc.